i am sic

1.2.05

The re-rebirth of Beandog

Hmm... I wish I could remember what I wrote here yesterday before my computer ate it. I have a feeling it was good. Crap! Oh well.

I'm thinking about going to India this spring. The purpose of the trip is to spend three weeks volunteering for the Missionaries of Charity, the organisation started by Mother Theresa. Frankly, the idea scares me. It's completely unlike anything I've done before.

I was feeling pretty torn up about whether to go or not, so I held a vote. I didn't want to colour the issue with details, though, so I didn't offer any. I asked people one single question:
Should I stay or should I go?

I waited for the votes to flood my In Box. I received a total of eleven before declaring the polls closed. One gave a conditional no. Ten opted for an unconditional go. At that point, I figured I had no choice but to at least make an effort.

Thus far, I have taken the all important first step: modifying this blog for use as a travelogue. I'm going to document my efforts for future generations your amusement no particular purpose at all. If I'm successful, I'll then document my journey.

I have a few issues to resolve before I'll know for sure if I can go, but I'm working on them.

  • I talked to a doctor, who told me that with increased levels of asthma meds, I should be fine for a few weeks.
  • My annual bonus is due in a few weeks. I'd prefer to talk to my boss about taking a leave of absence after he decides how much I'll be getting.
  • I'll have to take an unpaid leave, so it could potentially be a very career-limiting move.
  • I'll have to sublet my room, arrange for somebody to look after my household responsibilities and find a puppy-sitter.
  • I'll have to deal with all the paper-work and logistics of everything.

Aside from the whole leave of absence thing, it's not insurmountable, but it is work. I'm working on it.

But I told the guys co-ordinating the trip that I don't work with babies. I draw the line at breakable humans.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home