i am sic

17.5.05

Rehydration

14 May 2005
Hotel Astoria, Calcutta

Seriously? How?

I got to bed last night just after nine. I slept all right, I suppose. I froze, though. I turned the air conditioning down before I went to bed. The room was coolish, but definitely not cold. My bed, however, is next to the AC unit.

I woke up at four and couldn't get back to sleep. I lay here and listened to music until it was time to get up at five.

We got dressed and walked to the Mother House for the six o'clock mass. I nearly passed out during it. And not just because Catholics are seriously weird, either...

I was dizzy and weak. I felt nauseated and head-achey. I couldn't stand at all the predetermined times.

As soon as the service was over, I told Mr Army Dude. He laughed and told me I was dehydrated. He gave me a packet of rehydration stuff to drink.

How? I drank 5 or 6 litres of water yesterday and had already had another 1.5 by seven that morning. So really, how could I be dehydrated?

Apparently, dehydration is more than just water. It's also about the salts and electrolytes that are being sweated out.

So I've been shipped back to the hotel to drink salty gatorade and sleep while everybody else is out doing the work we came here to do. Nice.

I should be well enough for the afternoon shift. The salty gatorade seems to work pretty quickly.

On the bright side, the guys were right: the Mother House does serve the best chai anywhere. Three cups of it and I've almost stopped craving coffe.

Sleep now.

3 Comments:

  • YES!!! Mr Army Dude! That's fantastic! Sorry to hear about the dehydration though. No one's going to break my sweat record, though Ryan said it's the hot season and he's coming close. Great to hear a bit about the old stomping grounds. Is anyone working at Daya Dan? Let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 a.m.  

  • Chuck: The girly girls are all there. I steer clear of children. I'm working at Prem Dan and Kalighat.

    By Blogger sic, at 4:25 a.m.  

  • thanks. tell them to send me updates. I want to hear about the children, and I wonder if the ones that I knew are still there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home