i am sic

21.5.05

Doggone crazy




Before I came here, I was warned about the dogs. They're stinky, skinny, scary and mean, everybody said. They're flea-ridden, mangy and insane, I was told. They will chase you and attack you, people insisted.

To all of you who told me such things, I say bah!

Well, okay... They are mangy, and they undoubtedly have fleas, but still... They about as well nourished as anybody else on the streets of Calcutta, and for the most part they seem pretty content with their exitence. They just walk, sit or lie about, looking all pleased with themselves.

For the most part, they're shy. They tend to run away from people.




But not me. They follow me. When I walk by, they get up and trot along beside me for a bit before strolling off in a different direction. There are a few puppies in the street across from our hotel, Piss Alley. One in particular jumps up and runs after me whenever she sees me. And, trust me on this McJen, she's not attacking me. The look on her face is pure, unadulterated affection and joy. She jumps up and tries to get me to play, much the same way my own dogs would. Well, not Beandog... He's far too dignified for such tomfoolery.

I got some great pictures of her. When I get to London, I'll upload them and show you.

3 Comments:

  • You should honor your dog with a name!

    Good luck with your planevoyage and much happy times in Schotland ~ bring back a kilt :p .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 p.m.  

  • That would be hard on me, I would want to take her home...

    By Blogger ..., at 4:17 p.m.  

  • I'm glad you and the pooches get along. I have no problem with Kolkata dogs... they're quite affable and stay out of my way if I stay out of theirs, which I figure is a fair arrangement. There is really only one Indian dog I have it in for.. he lives high in the Rajasthan foothills in a temple atop Pushkar... in the infamous Temple of Doom...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home