i am sic

20.5.05

Emotional

18 May 2005
Prem Dan, Calcutta

I'm sitting with Sonda again. One of the American girls offered to take my place with her 'if I needed a break'. As if sitting here with her was some sort of necessary but unpleasant task, like cleaning the toilet...

She doesn't need company; she wants company. I don't sit here because it needs to be done; I do it because it feels important that I do.

On my first day I sat with her for a few minutes. On my second day there were a few more volunteers, and so less work to be done. I walked past her, and she reached out to take my arm. She giggled as she patted the bed for me to sit. I did.

For a while we sat in silence. I felt stupid just sitting there, not doing anything, but it felt important that I do.

After a bit, she began to laugh and then to talk. She babbled excitedly, giggling and gesticulating. As she spoke, her mood changed. She became much more emotional. Her eyes welled with tears, and she began to weep. She continued to speak as she cried, clearly telling a story. She lacks the motor skills to form words, though, so her story is known to her alone.

I'm sure there should be more here, but I've run out of words.

1 Comments:

  • It is important and I am sure you are making a huge difference in her life, even if it is only temporary.

    What an amazing experience this has been for you.

    By Blogger ..., at 4:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home