i am sic

25.5.05

Switching gears

from a few days back...

23 May 2005
Cafe Paris, Hammersmith, London

Guess I'm still on Calcutta time. I woke this morning at what would be just before six. Too bad it was quarter past one here. Read for a bit before drifting back to sleep. Got up for real at six local time.

Have several goals for today. Needed an all-zone tube pass to get everything in: £12! Eek. Price drops to £6, though, if I can hold off until 9.30. So I've strolled about the neighbourhood for a bit and now I'm sitting in a falafel shop trying to disguise itself as a French cafe.

The hostel I'm staying in is decidely posh in comparison with the fancy hotel we stayed at in Calcutta. It felt sort of strangely luxurious having my own bed. The beds even have privacy curtains around them and individual reading lamps. Hence the reading in the middle of the night without waking my dormmate.

Yup. Singular. Booked myself into a six-bed room, but there's just one other person. She's a quiet but friendly person visiting from China.

The hostel is relatively expensive, but worth the price for somebody wanting a clean, quiet place to relax and take it easy. It's clean, safe, huge and incredibly well equipped.

Hammersmith is... Hmm... Trying to think of a Toronto comparison. It's like High Park and Bloor West Village. It's trendy and stylish in an upper middle class sort of way. It's by no means downtown, but not really far enough out to qualify as suburban. It's right on one of the main tube lines, so it's an easy jump to the city centre.

Yeesh! This little shop has its radio set to a top forty station located somewhere in 1987. The walls are lined with the tackiest Native American art, all shimmery and 3-D.

So far I'm really enjoying London. I've got only two complaints. First, the recycling facilities: there aren't any. Second, the cigarette smoke: it's inescapable.

London is so much more fashionable than Toronto, in a dressed up sort of way. Just about all the men who've come in here have been in suit and tie. The women all put my work wear to shame. They can't all work for investment houses, can they? Why are they so dressed up?

Coming here from Calcutta's making my head spin. There, you don't even bother with clean clothes, never mind fashionable ones. I feel very under-dressed right now.

Time to get moving again. Almost 9.30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home