i am sic

24.3.05

What do you mean you'll give me money?

All of a sudden everybody at work knows about my trip. They're all asking questions. What am I doing? Where am I going? How long? Why?

They're also making fundraising suggestions. As in intra-office fundraising... As in they might be willing to contribute...

I don't like this fundraising thing. Well, not when it comes to raising money for myself. I would have no trouble raising funds for the trip if I weren't going. Does that make sense?

But I am going. So, all of a sudden, asking for money seems ridiculously selfish. Why do I need their money more than they do? And yet, they might just be offering. Earlier in the week I posted about how hard it was for me to ask for money, and it resulted in at least one person giving me money. This whole thing is really uncomfortable.

I dreampt up a fantastic idea for a fundraiser the other night. No, I mean that literally: it came to me in a dream. A fifty/fifty draw! Tickets would be $2 each (or something). Winning ticket takes half the pot and the rest goes to cover the cost of my trip.

The guys at work suggested the same thing before I even mentioned it. I like the idea, since it isn't quite a flat-out demand for cash. It gives people the opportunity to get something in return.

I don't know. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

  • We did 50/50 draws at work at the company that I used to work for. Usually the total pot was around $150 ($75 for them, $75 for the cause).

    Other ideas where people aren't just GIVING you money (because you seem to want them to get something more than just the satisfaction of supporting a good cause):
    -Silent Auction (people donate stuff, e.g. a dozen cookies, and then bid on them. You get the proceeds.)
    -Ask your office manager to have a one-time "denim day" (if your office doesn't already allow jeans on Fridays, otherwise, ask to allow runners), where people pay $5 for the privilege of wearing denim and/or runners to work. You get the proceeds.
    -Snag something cool for free (does your company have tickets to any good sporting events?) and raffle it off.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 11:37 a.m.  

  • 50/50 sounds like a good plan. In my experience, silent auctions are a lot of work. And as much as I like wearing jeans to work..$5? That's a bit steep. But the idea is a good one.

    By Blogger Kate the Peon, at 5:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home