i am sic

21.4.05

A long and ranty post...

Well now. That's just ducky.

I should preface this story by saying that at no point did I yell or behave in a menacing or threatening way. I did, however, give voice to my frustration and I... er... Well, I waxed a bit sarcastic. Shocking, I know.

I went to the travel doctor this afternoon. I got four needles and three prescriptions for assorted travel-related medicines. The doctor was pleasant and helpful. He even had a sense of humour. The nurse was good. The receptionist was nice. I got everything I needed in a relatively short period of time.

Then I walked up the street to the next doctor. I haven't got a family doctor, because no doctor in Toronto is taking new patients. I have been going to the same clinic for five years, though.

I waited my turn, and then the receptionist showed me to the exam room. She asked me the reason for my visit. I told her I needed some prescriptions renewed and a form signed. The form is a very simple one. It says this person appears to be in reasonably good health.

No, she replied tersely in her thick Spanish accent. We are not doing those-a forms here. Only jore family doctor canna sign such a forma.

Me: I haven't got a family doctor. I only ever come here.

Receptionista: Jou must go to a different clinica.

Me: So, you're telling me that the trip I just paid for, well, I can't go.

Receptionista: We have a policia for many jeers.

Me: Fine, I'll just talk to the doctor.

[time passes]

The doctor starts to enter the room. He's talking over his shoulder to somebody out of my view.

Doctor: What's wrong with that? Why shouldn't I sign the form?

Receptionista: Jou choulden't signa the forms becowse... Mebbe jou chould come in here for a minuta.

[doctor disappears]

[doctor reappears]

I tell him the same thing I told the receptionist. He says he cannot sign the form because they cannot accept liability for me while I'm in India. What a load of crap!

Me: So, that's it. I just can't go on the trip then?

Doctor: You should see your family doctor. He should be the one to sign the forms.

Me: I haven't got a family doctor. I've been coming here for five years.

Doctor: I can't verify that you're in good health. How would I know?

Me: You've got more medical history on me than anybody else on the planet. I can't just walk into a clinic and expect somebody I've never seen before to sign the forms.

Doctor: Well, obviously you'd require a complete physical first. And, of course, since it's for travel purposes it won't be covered. You'll have to pay for it.

Me: [exasperated] Whatever. Can you just renew my prescriptions and I'll deal with the rest later?

Doctor: Clearly you're angry. I'm not going to talk to you when you're angry. I'll leave you to calm down for a while.

Me: No, I'm fine; I just need the prescriptions.

Doctor: What ones?

Me: For my asthma and eczema. The eczema one isn't working very well. I heard about a new one I'd like to try.

Doctor: I'm not going to prescribe that. Not now!

Me: Why?

Doctor: Look, clearly you've got an anger problem. I don't have to take this from you.

Me: Why won't you prescribe me that medicine?

Doctor: Oh, because there are cancer concerns. I won't prescribe it to anybody until the issues are resolved.

Me: Okay. That's a perfectly reasonable answer. That's all I needed.

Doctor: Here are your prescriptions. I'd appreciate it very much if you never come back here again. I'm going to make a note in your file. You're obviously not pleased with my service and you've got anger issues.

I took the paper from him and left without another word.

So... The short version is: I might not be able to go to India. And now I have no doctor.

3 Comments:

  • That is unfuckingbelievable. Of COURSE you will go on your trip. You will call the clinic and get the managing supervisor's name, or whoever the fuck is in charge there. You will say that you have a potentiously litigious case that needs discussing with them in person. You will have meeting and explain the situation with NO sarcasm (try, please). You will walk away with a doctor who will kiss your ass every time he sees you and a signed form.

    I hope.

    By Blogger Kate the Peon, at 10:27 p.m.  

  • (jaw on floor)

    Follow Kate's advice, but also find a family doctor. Find someone that will take you immediately and tell them your story. They can get your file from your other doctor and this may be enough along with a physical.

    Of course, I haven't lived in Canada so I don't know for sure, but it really doesn't sound like a problem that can't be solved in a day or two. I'm sure you're not the only person in Canada that doesn't have a family doctor and wants to travel.

    By Blogger Worldgineer, at 6:32 p.m.  

  • Kate: Clearly, the receptionist is in charge. And no matter how hard you try or how nice you play, you just can't make people sign forms if they don't want to.

    Worldgineer: No thank you. No physical. But I solemnly promise that I have nothing more contagious than my bad attitude. Although my dad assures me that it's not transferrable, it's genetic.

    By Blogger sic, at 10:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home