i am sic

26.4.05

Oh, the futility of it all...

Still trying to book my train ticket from London to Edinburgh... Who would have thought one little ticket would be so complicated?

A friend agreed to purchase the ticket on his credit card. Made all the arrangements and then noticed one little, itty bitty problem. I would need to bring his credit card with me to the train station. Right.

I found a contact number on the website. A number for non-UK residents to use... Well, that's what it said on the web, anyways. I called it yesterday and couldn't get through. I called again today. This time I got through to a live human being. He had to ask a supervisor what to do. The supervisor gave him a different number I could call.

I called it. It seems I can book! We went through the whole process starting with my address. My postal code confused him. Just like it did the website. It sounds like a UK post code, but it shows as not valid. Right.

I read him my street address. No difficulties there.

Next line. Toronto [pronounced: Tranna], I said. There was a pause.

Toronto? [pronounced: Tow-rohn-tow]

Yes. Ontario.

Onero?

Ontario.

O-N-E-R-O?

O-N-T-A-R-I-O.

O-N-T-E-R-O?

No, O-N-T-A-R-I-O.

Oh, okay, O-N-T-A-I-R-O. Ontairo.

No, O-N-T-A-R-I-O.

Right, Ontairo. O-N-T-A-I-R-O.

No, O-N-T-A-R-I-O.


We finally got the spelling down pat, but we couldn't put the transaction through because I haven't got the security code on my credit card. I haven't got the card here. It's at home. I called my roommate to see if she can grab the card and call me. If she does, I'll have to go through the process all over again.

6 Comments:

  • You're kidding me. It's pronounced [Tranna]? I've always pronounced it [Tow-rohn-tow], but then I don't live there.

    By Blogger Worldgineer, at 10:45 a.m.  

  • ok. enough. I'll drive up from Somerset (bout 100 miles) pick you up, and drive you up to Scotland. We'll have to go via my mums for a cup of tea, otherwise she'll kill me. And my sisters. For a cup of tea. But they are both good rest brake distances apart. Once in Edinb. I knopw this great live music bar. Payment is to not get me too pissed. ok

    By Blogger jj, at 11:26 a.m.  

  • W: No self-respecting Torontonian puts three syllables in the word.

    grump: Sure. Driving clear across the country for no good reason's not out of your way or anything, is it?

    By Blogger sic, at 2:40 p.m.  

  • I can vouch for this being also from 'Tranna'.

    But i moved here from Calgree and lived in Van once. Had a girlfriend from Edmun'un once and we almost moved to Oddawa.

    By Blogger Saucy Monk, at 9:28 a.m.  

  • I'm from Edmonton. There's definitely no audible 'T' in that word. I'm not even sure the 'D' is pronounced. It's sort of 'Em-None'.

    By Blogger sic, at 11:00 a.m.  

  • Or maybe 'Emma-None'...

    By Blogger sic, at 11:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home